Wednesday, September 11, 2013

**REVIEW** Not Your Ordinary Wolf Girl by Emily Pohl-Weary


Sometimes Living in the Big Apple Really Bites!
Eighteen-year-old rock star Sam Lee isn't like other girls. She's the super-talented bass player and songwriter for an all-girl indie band and an incurable loner. Then one night after a concert in Central Park, she's attacked by a wild dog.

Suddenly, this long-time vegetarian is craving meat--the bloodier, the better. Sam finds herself with an unbelievable secret and no one she trusts to share it. And so begin the endless lies to cover up the hairy truth...

When a new girl gang appears in the city--with claws and paws--Sam suspects there's a connection to her own inner beast. Trapped in a tug-of-war between her animal and human selves, forced to choose between the guy who sparked her carnal appetite and the one who makes her feel like a normal teenage girl, Sam has to unravel the mysteries of the werewolf world before her bandmates, her mother, and the media catch up to her.

Expected Release: September 24, 2013
Published By: Razorbill Canada
Review Copy: ARC
**provided by publisher 



Review

  Picking this one up I really didn't know how it would go but it turned out so different from your everyday read.  Emily has written a solitary, driven main female character that just won't put up with any bull and has a mind of her own.  That being said it's not like there is a lacking of these girls in books now but the ones that seem to capture people and create the buzz but girls like Sam are going to change that.  Authors like Emily are starting to change it up and create a new norm, one with girls that can and will hold their own without looking to the guy to save her.  

  Such a fascinating and vivid world for everything to be set in: New York.  Not only is it set in a place that is constantly on the go but in the fast paced world of the music industry.  I can't even stress how stuck in this book I became when it was even just starting, it was immediately attention grabbing and wasted no time getting to the action.  The fact that everything took place in New York just made it that much more risky because of the difficult and odd situation.  The setting was not what you would consider common or typical because of all of the problems it would bring up but this author seriously nailed it!

  There is so much to relate to and love with Sam.  She isn't the girl that wants to be smack dab in the middle of everyones attention but she has the talent to be there if she wanted.  Not to mention that she isn't guy crazy or dependent upon others to help her, this girl is content just being on the sidelines of everything.  Not that she feels she is too good for anyone but more that she prefers her privacy and has no desire to be in the middle of crap.  Unfortunately it seems to be this attitude that catches peoples attention and some of it causes unimaginable problems and a need to let some people in that she would never have even considered before.  Not that she all of a sudden becomes a party girl (which I loved btw) but when you find yourself becoming another species all together you kind of need guidance and even then she kind of had troubles just accepting it and kind of fought it.  Heck it isn't easy being the poster girl for PETA and finding yourself craving meat in any form.

  By no means should you think that romance is a main focus with this one but Sam seriously catches the eye of many guys.  I was slightly worried about three guys wanting her attention and the different roles they could play.  Harris was basically the guy that she liked from the get go but he was more of a fantasy than anything because of having a girl friend but he manages to complicate everything when they break up.  I never really liked him as a love interest but he was most definitely an interesting character.  Then there is the brothers Owen and Marlon.  Owen was all about Sam but not in a good way and she seriously wasn't interested in him (he's a bit psychotic) but that didn't stop him from trying to claim her.  For Marlon, well I felt he was really the only guy that deserved Sam's time but she made the guy work for it.  Even when she accused him of stalking her, he didn't give up.  I know most of you may find that to be just like a stalker but he had serious reasons.

  There is a lot to love with this read and I found myself completely engrossed in it.  The only issue I had was that the end felt so rushed and pulled together a lot faster than I had expected.  Not to mention I felt like I was left hanging, but maybe that was the point and there will be more.  There is no doubt in my mind that this read will catch peoples attention and for so many different reasons but the strong and independent Sam will be the main one.  I highly recommend picking this read up if you want a book with a strong female lead and something that you can enjoy from start to finish.


Quotes
  I tossed in a bag of oranges and a dozen cans of frozen lemonade--not because I particularly wanted them, but because the vitamin C might counteract the gout I would surely get from my new all-meat-all-the-time diet.

When had I been reduced to a nut job who ate flesh in public bathrooms?  But I couldn't stop.  I fished out a sausage and bit off the end, hoping it didn't reek as much as the lamb.  a few people came and went as I tucked into the rest of the meat, but no one else cracked any comments.

  I sat down in the middle of the floor and dropped my head into my claws.  I was a wold girl.  Half-wolf, half-human?  Whatever.  Fully freak show.

  The deer made eye contact with me.  I could see its terror.  Suddenly, I remembered exactly how I felt when I was jumped by two ferocious wolves alone in the park.  I skidded to a halt.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...