Friday, February 1, 2013

**REVIEW** Scarlet by Marissa Meyer

Cinder returns in the second thrilling installment of the New York Times-bestselling Lunar Chronicles. She’s trying to break out of prison—even though if she succeeds, she’ll be the Commonwealth’s most wanted fugitive.
Halfway around the world, Scarlet Benoit’s grandmother is missing. It turns out there are many things Scarlet doesn’t know about her grandmother and the grave danger she has lived in her whole life. When Scarlet encounters Wolf, a street fighter who may have information as to her grandmother’s whereabouts, she has no choice but to trust him, though he clearly has a few dark secrets of his own.
As Scarlet and Wolf work to unravel one mystery, they find another when they cross paths with Cinder. Together, they must stay one step ahead of the vicious Lunar Queen who will do anything to make Prince Kai her husband, her king, her prisoner.

Release Date:  February 5th 2013
Published By:  Feiwel and Friends
Review Copy: ARC, 
(ARC received from publisher) 

Review

  Have you read Cinder?  If not what the heck are you waiting for because you are going to need to pick this one up as soon as you can.  I was hesitant to start Cinder myself but it seriously wow'd me.  Now Scarlet was something that I was genuinely excited for and it still had me hooked.  With it's new characters and all of the action it was hard to put this one down! 

    This book was so different from the first one.  I know it's not the same book but normally they carry a lot of similarities.  Though it still has Meyer's clear and expressive writing it also has many different POV's.  Have I mentioned that I love books that are written from the views of different characters?!  Well I do.  You get to hear it from Scarlet, Cinder and Prince Kai. Though Prince Kai is the one you read from the least I still love it.  Rather than that you still get the same awesome world (well future world) and riveting writing.

  Scarlet is the furthest thing from a push over.  This girl is all action and after reading the book I'm not sure she really understands the meaning of no.  When the police close her Grandmothers case she is determined to prove them wrong.  I loved that she was willing to do whatever it took to find out the truth.  This meant if she had to go into places that she would have never even considered before than heck ya she was on it.  This Red Riding Hood is not the sweet and innocent girl that you would expect.  I mean ya red hoodie but the girl packs some heat.  I mean a gun in her belt HECK YA!  

  The way in which Cinder was tied into this rocked as well.  I'm not really sure if it was Cinder tied into this but more Scarlet tied into Cinder.  She also got a little help from the wonderfully entertaining Carswell Thorne.  He kind of comes with the escape from jail deal but it works out for the better.  With him Cinder gets a cocky and self loving companion.  The chapters that these two are featured in have some serious laughs packed in, as well as action because hey, they are both fugitives and are kind of stuck together.  I did enjoy the growth and realizations that Cinder had throughout this novel.  She is finally starting to see and embrace what she really is and could really become.

  Everything about this one was wonderful and Meyer made it so easy to just fall back into the world she created and fall in love with the characters that are both new and old.  Just like how she tied in Cinderella, Red Riding Hood was tied in with her red hoody and a type of big bad wolf.  May I just add that the way the wolf was tied in to the entire story was BRILLIANT!  I was upset that Kai kind of gave in when he should have remained strong but the truth is I still love him and will forgive the transgression but only just this once.  

  I was so excited to get this book and get it started that I didn't even factor in my early review copy just made me have to wait longer for the next book!!  I'm not even sure how I am going to deal with the wait.  Meyer has done some seriously amazing work and done something I never though possible.  She made a story with cyborgs and much more that I am completely and utterly in love with!  I would recommend this series to everyone but also tell them to prepare to die waiting for each new installment.

Quotes
The detective said that's what people did when they ran away and didn't want to be found-they cut out their ID chips.  He'd said it like he'd just solved the mystery, but Scarlet figured most kidnappers probably knew that trick too.

From the start of Book Two:
Little Red was a tender morsel,and the wolf knew she would  be eventastier than the old woman.

Cinder had to be found, Levana had to be appeased, Kai had to stop acting cheated and indignant and start acting like an emperor.Whatever he'd once felt for Cinder-or thought he'd felt for her-was over.

"I know lunars are supposed to have a few screws loose-no offence- but those men are psychotic.  He practically gnawed off my arm!  And this is my favorite jacket!"

"I know, I know.  She seems a little"-crossing his eyes, he swirled both fingers around his ears-"but it's really part of her charm, once you get to know her."

6 comments:

  1. I am not loving YA now but I will make an exception for this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the 1st book on my tbr and all of my friends who read it, said that was even better! Thanks for the great review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so excited to read this! Thanks for your thoughts. I'm glad to hear you loved it. Just finished Cinder a little while ago and enjoyed the unique story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have not read Cinder yet. :( I know, I know. Something is wrong with me. I really want to read it though, so that I can hurry up and get to this one. I love different POV's myself. If it is done correctly, and it seems like this one is, it can add so much more depth to the story! I really am excited to read these stories, and see what magic I am missing out on! Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I;m going to start this series this summer! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This review made me want to re-read the book. It is my favourite book in the series (so far). It's perfect. I can't wait for Winter!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...