Thursday, November 1, 2012

**REVIEW** Asylum by K.A. Tucker

Tucked away in Sofie's wintery asylum with no hope of release for years, Evangeline must come to terms with her situation: the curse still plagues her, she's now hunted by a two thousand-year-old vampire, and the guy she's in love with tried to kill her. Plus, she's locked up with a cranky Max and the Forero kids—two people everyone seems to prefer dead over alive. Things aren't looking good.
Meanwhile, back in Manhattan, Sofie struggles to keep forty trapped and bloodthirsty Ratheus vampires at bay and a desperate Viggo from killing Evangeline's friends, all while hints stir outside the walls of the NYC vampire asylum of a war brewing between the Sentinel and the witches. 
Is there any hope for Evangeline and Caden? Can Sofie control the rival powers? Is the fate of Earth predestined?

Release Date: December 12, 2012
Published by: Papoti Books
Review Format: e-book (Kindle) 


REVIEW

  I had really enjoyed K.A. Tucker's Anathema and had wanted o tear into this one as soon as possible.  Sadly things didn't work out that way and I just got the chance recently.  This book brings you back to Evangeline, her curse, the boy she loves trying to kill her and all the other frustrations and worries she was left with in book one.  

  This story is kind of split.  This is due to the fact that Evangeline is at an unknown location and Sophie is back trying to deal with all of the vampires that crossed with Evangeline and have some serious blood lust problems.  We also see the ever loyal and friendly Leo, the still ferociously protective Max and thrown into the mix now there is the Forero siblings.  These characters are all with Evangeline and help create a much more tense and active atmosphere.  Both places are going through a struggle and you know it's only a matter of time before it all blows up.

  Evenagline is really growing on me now.  Not that I ever disliked her but I found her at times to be whiny and that drives me nuts.  Though she does sulk I can understand, she's stuck in the middle of nowhere and cannot contact anyone or leave.  Not to mention the fact that the guy she thinks is the love of her life tried to ...  Well that would be a spoiler if you haven't read the first book but its not good.  She does however stick to her guns and remain loyal and mostly positive throughout her long boring journey.


  Sophie is really evolving and the amount of true affection she carries for Evengeline is phenomenal.  She is willing to sacrifice a lot just to keep her safe even if  it means she can't see her.  The struggle lays in containing the new threat and figuring out who you can and can not.  This isn't as easy as you 

would imagine seeing she can use her talent to figure it out due to some 
boundaries that have been put in place.  Mage kind of played a role here but I 
don't want to ruin too much for you.

  Though all romance was kind of put on hold due to circumstances K.A. Tucker did the unimaginable, she threw in a friendship! *Gasp* I know right?!  She didn't throw in some other guy or guys that Eve would be torn over.  Instead she tossed in the unlikely friendship with Julian.  Though I was awkward to start it kind of developed into something that's easy and comforting.  This was not only refreshing but a great and suitable substitute for Eve's and Caden's separation.


  Though there was a chance taken with the changing POV's in this book K.A. Tucker seriously pulled it off.  It gave this novel an edge that th previous didn't have.  Also I needed it because let's face it how much action can happen up in the middle of nowhere.  You I'll be shocked and pleased with this read and be glad that the next book is out.  I know I was because I rushed into it from here!


Quotes

He may want to kill her, but he wouldn't break her heart-perverse but comforting.

"So, who else do we have here, Max?  Who else have I forgotten to ask about?  Is our Russian cook a unicorn?  What about the others?  Any of them moonlighting as a succubus or a shifter?"

He was worried.   And now so was I.  A jealous vampire was an irrational one.  Which made for a lethal one.

3 comments:

  1. First I've really heard about this book/series, but it sounds yummy with a 2K year-old vampire - plus those quotes & excerpt are great! And LOVE the cover art <3
    Mary DeBorde M.A.D.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops, didn't realize this was a sequel right away when I was reading the review. Apparently I didn't look at the cover closely enough, so I hope that didn't spoil anything. I do like the idea of the book changing POVs though. Sometimes that can work out really well, especially if it gives you more of an appreciation for a character you didn't previously like.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have the first book in the series, but I haven't read it yet. It is yet another one on my Kindle that I might have forgotten about a little bit. Now I remember and I am going to read it so I can get to this one.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...