Monday, August 27, 2012

**REVIEW** Enclave by Ann Aguirre

In Deuce’s world, people earn the right to a name only if they survive their first fifteen years. By that point, each unnamed ‘brat’ has trained into one of three groups–Breeders, Builders, or Hunters, identifiable by the number of scars they bear on their arms. Deuce has wanted to be a Huntress for as long as she can remember.
As a Huntress, her purpose is clear—to brave the dangerous tunnels outside the enclave and bring back meat to feed the group while evading ferocious monsters known as Freaks. She’s worked toward this goal her whole life, and nothing’s going to stop her, not even a beautiful, brooding Hunter named Fade. When the mysterious boy becomes her partner, Deuce’s troubles are just beginning.
Down below, deviation from the rules is punished swiftly and harshly, and Fade doesn’t like following orders. At first Deuce thinks he’s crazy, but as death stalks their sanctuary, and it becomes clear the elders don’t always know best, Deuce wonders if Fade might be telling the truth. Her partner confuses her; she’s never known a boy like him before, as prone to touching her gently as using his knives with feral grace.
As Deuce’s perception shifts, so does the balance in the constant battle for survival. The mindless Freaks, once considered a threat only due to their sheer numbers, show signs of cunning and strategy… but the elders refuse to heed any warnings. Despite imminent disaster, the enclave puts their faith in strictures and sacrifice instead. No matter how she tries, Deuce cannot stem the dark tide that carries her far from the only world she’s ever known.
*TRAILER*
This trailer is EPIC btw!

**REVIEW**

  There is absolutely nothing that I didn't love about this book.  Every page, every word had me glued to the pages and I just didn't want to put it down.  Maybe this was because the book is so fast paced that I was worried if I put it down I would be lost.  Not that it was too fast but I didn't want to be left behind in this well written and riveting novel.  This is a world where living over the age of twenty makes you old and only at a certain age do you get a name, before that you are a brat with a number.

  Deuce is a Huntress.  This means she patrols the tunnels with a partner to collect whatever kills they can and also kill the freaks that may be lurking around along the way.  This is a title and job that she has craved since she was small and a great honour to have made it there and be considered one of the best.  However when she gets paired up with Fade an outsider that was taken in, she's is none too impressed.  But you have to trust your partner because in the end they can keep you alive or kill you.  Deuce gives it her all and trusts Fade but this leads her into a world that she never dreamed existed and opens her eye to the way she has been living her entire life.

  I loved Deuce.  She is everything that you want in a heroine and then some.   Due to the way she was raised and the world that she lives in there is no time to be a whiner.  So what you are left with is a strong and independent kick ass chick.  I really admire her devotion to her friends and her enclave, even if it is a blind devotion.  When it comes down to it though she can see through what she has been taught.  She learns that not all is what it seems to be and when the elders of her Enclave wont listen she fears the worst but tries to slip back into what she was lead to believe.  Her colours shine when she truly see what they elders are capable of and steps up to save her friends and is sentenced to leave the enclave to face whatever she must without any hesitation.

  The surface is crazy and you have to question if it is better there or in the tunnels.  It is here that Fade and Deuce develop into more than a hunting pair but you also meet Stalker.  I know what a name right?!  He kind of drives me nuts because to start I thought that he was strong but there are times that his self preservation  drives me through the roof.  How he even manages to become a love interest is beyond me but I will admit that there was time that he captured my attention.

  The story itself is amazing and something that I totally loved.  There is always something to keep you wanting and no down time where you just want to put the book down.  There is some serious gore but the action/fights that go on will absolutely entrance you.  There were times I think that I may have even held my breath while I was reading some of the scenes, just because I had no idea what the turn out would be.  I mean no one is ever really safe right.  This to me was the perfect amount of suspense and I loved that the romance that was throw throughout the novel didn't overrun the rest.  When you are living in an apocalyptic world living comes first and romance is something you only have time for sometimes.

  Enclave was an epic and riveting read.  There is no time to be board but you don't feel overwhelmed either.  There is no question in my mind that I will love the next instalment of this series Outpost.  I am eager to dive into it and see how everything continues.  The ending of Enclave left you feeling like you had a false sense of security and that something was coming.  If you enjoy a post apocalyptic read or love dystopians you will not be let down by this one.  I can say with certainty that Ann Aguire has created a terrifying yet addicting read.  I personally would not want to be caught up in this world.

Quotes & Stuff 

I was born during the second holocaust.  People had told us legends of a time when human beings lived longer.  I thought they were just stories.  Nobody even lived to see forty in my world.- Deuce
We left three corpses.  Horrible as it sounded, other Freaks would eat them.  They had no care for their dead. 
 "I have your back.  I didn't mean only when it's easy. All the time"- Fade
Before he bent his head, I knew what he was going to do.  Touch his lips to mine.  Oh, I wanted him to. 

4 comments:

  1. I love kick ass chick! Hahahahaha..
    From 1 (worst) to 5 (best), which rate will you give for this book?

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy you loved it so much, Tiff!!! I loved it, too, it's such a great dystopian with strong characters. Not one that is easy to digest either, as it has some darker and more provocative themes.. I still need to read Outpost, like, YESTERDAY!!! <3 Great review sweetie!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review! I love YA Dystopian fiction, so thanks for recommending this. I want to read Outpost, now that I've read your review on it, but while reading it I realised that it's the second book in the series, so it brought me to this book. And so, your reviews and the books' synopsis' have intrigued me, and now the series is in the top 10 of my to-read list. Thanks for sharing your thoughts :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review! I haven't seen the trailer before. I love Dystopian books with great kick butt female characters. <3

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...