Monday, June 25, 2012

*REVIEW* GODDESS INTERRUPTED by Aimee Carter

KATE WINTERS HAS WON IMMORTALITY.

BUT IF SHE WANTS A LIFE WITH HENRY IN THE UNDERWORLD, SHE'LL HAVE TO FIGHT FOR IT.

Becoming immortal wasn't supposed to be the easy part. Though Kate is about to be crowned Queen of the Underworld, she's as isolated as ever. And despite her growing love for Henry, ruler of the Underworld, he's becoming ever more distant and secretive. Then, in the midst of Kate's coronation, Henry is abducted by the only being powerful enough to kill him: the King of the Titans. 

As the other gods prepare for a war that could end them all, it is up to Kate to save Henry from the depths of Tartarus. But in order to navigate the endless caverns of the Underworld, Kate must enlist the help of the one person who is the greatest threat to her future. 

Henry's first wife, Persephone.
********

  Just wow!  I really enjoyed Goddess Test and had put off reading this one due to my ever growing TBR pile but once I did pick it up it didn't get put down until the end.  Starting off 6 months from where the Goddess Test ended there is a lot that has happened.  Henry seems to be distancing himself more from Kate than ever and everything is about to change.

  I have never felt so bad for a character as I did Kate at times.  There is some serious emotional things going on with that girl.  I mean returning to the Underworld just to feel that the one person you love does not love you back.  Not to mention that she always seems to be trying to save him in one way or another only to feel alone again because he pulls away from her.  Kate is strong and set in her ways so once she decides something that is the way it is.  Maybe this is the problem? Maybe she is too independent and Hades aka Henry is afraid of that?  Either way Kate's love and determination is the only thing strong enough to save him and everyone else.  I love Kate because of her strength and sheer bull headed stubbornness.  Who else spends 6 months away from their husband and then chooses to risk their life even when they aren't sure of how their partner feels?

  Persephone INFURIATED me!  Like I wanted to smack the smug right out of her.  Forgive me for this but upon first meeting her in this book I believe my note read "SELFISH BITCH!!"  I get that she chose to become human to be happy with Adonis and that is fine.  Treating everyone like dirt because they showed up at her afterlife, NOT OK!  It's not like they walked in and demanded she leave Adonis and sacrifice herself.  They just wanted to know how to get to the gate to save everyone.  I wanted to scream and pull my hair out that she was that stuck up!   Her acting mad at times that Kate had won Henry.. SERIOUSLY?! SERIOUSLY?!  You left him, you got what you wanted, WHAT IS YOUR PROBLEM?!  I don't blame her for leaving Hades (Henry) but I do blame her for acting like everyone owes her.

  Henry himself fits his role too well at times.  Being Hades and Persephone leaving him  seems to have left him colder and more withdrawn than I could have ever imagined.  His behaviour and reactions left me many times with frustration and the need to jump into the pages and smack him in the back of the head.  James is there to get my rage going as well.  I know he means all the best for Kate but really who doesn't see right through that show?  No matter what I seriously feel that he wants Kate and is willing to plant as many seeds of doubt as needed to get her to swing his way.  The guys in this book seriously leave something to be desired!

  The book was wonderfully written and kept me glued to the pages wanting to find out more.  Is the mythology perfect? No.  Does that pull the story apart for me? NO!  Despite some of the mythology references being a little... Off we will say, I still seriously enjoyed this book.  I know I ranted A LOT but that to me shows that it was able to raise some feeling in me and I love that in a book.  There is a BIG cliffhanger ending and I would be lying if I said I didn't have a moment where I debated on throwing the book.  I continue to enjoy this series and look forward to the next book!

3 comments:

  1. Oddly enough, I actually liked Persephone in this book :P (please, before you go looking for a baseball bat, allow me to explain:P). I thought she came across as a strong and very assertive character and I always appreciate that in books. Sure, she was annoying and bitchy - there's no denying that, but it was refreshing to finally have someone who actually knew what they wanted and didn't go wining and crying about it all the time. Kate and Henry = these two pissed the living soul out of me. I couldn't take Henry's indecisiveness and Kate's constant "I'm a replacement" chant. I just wanted them to learn how to communicate! But that's all totally irrelevant, cause once you'll read Goddess Legacy you'll understand so much more. GL was my favorite book in the series so far (it's on NG, grab it!). And after reading it, I can say that my favorite character in the series is hands down Calliope/Hera.

    Great, thorough, informative review! Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That cliffhanger was AWFUL! I must say that I am split between your review and Evie's comment. I appreciated Persephone, but she royally pissed me off. Henry and Kate weren't much better for me throughout a lot of the book, but there were moments when they seemed to be getting their crap together. I am totally jealous that Evie has read Goddess Legacy already. My bloggin buddy Nikki at Fiction Freak is reading it now. So very, very jealous! Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review! I just read The Goddess Test, so I wanted to read your thoughts on this one. I can't believe Persephone actually comes back, not good. I love Greek Mythology, so I think I will enjoy this.;)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...