Monday, June 4, 2012

*REVIEW* BeSwitched by Molly Snow

When a magical black cat, Surla, runs away from her bombastic witch, she has no idea she will soon be living the life of shy teenage girl, Cathy Phillips, confronting the mean girls and cute guys of Washington High.

Cathy’s peers notice a dramatic change when she starts standing up for herself, dressing differently, snagging dates and picking up feline habits. Meanwhile, Surla’s witch is a flaming red-haired fury, awkwardly trying to fit into society, so she can find her familiar and perform magic once again.

The “curse” of being BeSwitched may just be the most purr-fect secret these new best friends could ever have!




 BeSwitched was such a quick and fun read.  Molly Snow has combined the fun on Freaky Friday with some serious teen issues like bullying.  The book even has a quick and easy start that draws you right into the action and fun!


  There are many reasons that I enjoyed this book but the main one was that the characters were fun.  I know you just heard fun but when Surla and Cathy get crossed there is a lot of things that will make you smile.  I loved Surla in Cathy's body.  Cathy was kind of boring and lacked a lot of self confidence (or really any for that matter) which I find annoying in a character, so I was relieved to know that Surla was going to change everything for her.  When they both take the switch with such grace and acceptance, it becomes clear how things are going to go.  I found that some of the secondary characters fell short for me and I wish they hadn't.  Chrissy had such potential and I wanted to see more of her.


   There are also some bigger issues that come out in this book.  Bullying is the biggest of those.  Being  a teen isn't easy at the best of times and being an outsider is even harder.  Cathy has always been picked on by the more popular people and kind of tries to shy away from any attention.  When Surla switches up with Cathy the bullying is kind of put to a stop.  She refuses to be put down by the people that just want to belittle her and make her feel worse about herself.  To a point Surla turned Cathy into the kind of MC that I love to read about and keeps me coming back for more.


  This is more of a novella and is a super quick read.  However in the little time it took me to read it I had a lot of fun.  There was multiple points where I found myself with a smile and wondering what Surla was going to do next.  If you liked Freaky Friday or Sabrina the Teenage Witch you will probably enjoy this fun and light read.

1 comment:

  1. Love Sabrina the Teenage Witch, so want a cat named Salem and love this I will be reading this just cause it made you smile. Been reading a sad book time for a pick me up! Wonderful Review:)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...