Thursday, May 10, 2012

*REVIEW* Torn by Erica O'Rourke

Mo Fitzgerald knows about secrets. But when she witnesses her best friend's murder, she discovers Verity was hiding things she never could have guessed. To find the answers she needs and the vengeance she craves, Mo—quiet, ordinary, unmagical Mo—will have to enter a world of raw magic and shifting alliances. And she'll have to choose between two very different, equally dangerous guys—protective, duty-bound Colin and brash, mysterious Luc. One wants to save her, one wants to claim her. Which would you choose?










Two guys. two Worlds. Two destinies...
One choice.


  This description really does not do the book justice.  I mean yes it is eye catching and it does draw you in but once you have read the book and sit back to think about it, it's kind of more than that.  This book and I had a bit of a slow start.  Maybe it was just me but let me tell you, you need that part.  I needed that part abd even though at the time I felt it was slow, looking back and reflecting upon it it wasn't all that slow.  More so it was just a lot of information and little things collected together.  Once that was done the book took off like a rocket and just kept going.


  Maura aka Mo was a great protagonist.  I must admit I had my doubts when I started to read but she changed that opinion in a hurry.  To start off with she is a shy, quiet girl that does what she is told and doesn't talk back or do anything unexpected and despite the fact that I should have known better I didn't expect any big change.  Well she proved me wrong.  No she couldn't fight all ninja style out of the blue or have all sorts of crazy hidden secrets but she did have a super strong will under everything.  Years of doing what you are told is right and not what you want can really build up some pressure.  When Mo steps outside of what she knows and walks the path unknown she becomes the kind of person you want to read.  


"I'm not a golden retriever," I snapped. "You don't pat me 
on the head and tell me to stay..." - Mo
  
I will say yes there is a love triangle but it was done well.  Wasn't exactly a main focus in the book either and I really enjoyed reading about it as it progressed.  Normally however the choices are as different as night and day.  With this book they really aren't.  Plain and simple the guys just come from two different ways of life and see things differently.  Luc comes from a world that Mo never would have dreamed of but when he walks into her life she knows that he knows more than he is telling her, or letting on.  There is no immediate connection but Luc has a way of making you want to kiss him and kick him at the same time.  Colin is seriously who I was voting on.  I mean if I  were there I would just steal him away.  You don't really learn much about him or where he comes from but you know her cares.  As much as he doesn't want to admit it he does.

"It's too complicated.  Everything about you is complicated. Your
age and your uncle, you and Verity and Luc and..." - Colin

The unique part of this story is how Mo comes into play.  More so the role that she ends up playing and her determination to complete something that was actually never meant for her.  Most novels like this it ends up that it was always their destiny to complete but Mo is a serious exception.  I really don't want to give too much away about what is actually going on.  Not easy to tell you all the awesome ways that the story goes without giving something away... So I will leave you with what I have told you.

  Overall I seriously enjoyed this book.  I ended up staying up way past the time my body told me it was time to go to sleep just to finish it off.  I think the biggest thing is in the last third you just don't want to stop because you don't want to miss what is going to happen... I hope that makes sense.  If you are looking for a book that has a different kind of love triangle and an awesome MC look no further.  I am personally picking up the next book ASAP and going to be first in line for Bound! 
  

2 comments:

  1. I've never heard of this one, but I might have to pick it up after this review! It sounds interesting. I really like the golden retriever quote. Mo definitely sounds like the type of main character I like!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wasn't sure that I would enjoy this series when I first picked up Torn, but I have loved every sentence on every page! Torn was amazing, and I am getting ready to start Tangled. I hope it is as amazing. Hopefully more! Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...