Thursday, March 22, 2012

REVIEW: The Fire Wars by Kailin Gow

A dystopian romance that takes place on an island and is the melding of mythologies from two different cultures.
  Her destiny was written in the books...but can she change a course that has already begun thousands of years ago?
  Mackenzy Evers had moved with her mother from Angel Island to Aeros Island during her senior year. What can be worse than to finish her senior year at a new school?
  Living during the post-Erosion period on Earth where there is less land than before, Mac is happy to discover an island of rich beauty and lush landscapes, not to mention mysterious handsome boys and an ancient prophecy that is set to come true in Mac's lifetime.
  Chance Cutter claims she is his Queen, his goddess to his Fire King, whom he had been searching for years. Their attraction to each other is undeniable, yet why does he seem to hate her? And who is she really?

Edition: Paperback, 262 pages
 Released: October 17th 2011
Published by The Edge Publishing


Review:
   I have been super about this book since I first spotted it on Kailin Gow's blog!! I mean a dystopian book that is filled with Gods and Goddess how could I not be excited!  It took awhile to figure it out but finally I managed to get it from The Book Depository and there was no going back from there!! This book was a fantastic read with great characters and a vivid and very possible new world in it.  The God/Goddess edge to it is what really made the book though.  As the title suggests there is you fire gods but you also have you water ones as well and everything divides from there.  I wont go into too much detail as I don't want to ruin any of the book for you but so much of this book relies on our protagonist Mac and the role she may or may not play. 

  Upon her arrival nothing seems to be foreign to her but rather she feels like she is home.  Which even to her is strange as she has just arrived and had to leave behind all of her friends and the place she has lived for years before this.  She is almost immediately introduced to Chance Cutter who is not at all the nice guy she thought he might be upon hearing of him but he makes up for it in sheer attraction! Varun Cutter though not lacking in looks is the complete opposite of his cousin and is sweet and seems to calm Mac with his touch. I really enjoyed Mac for the most part.  The girl was thrown into this world that she had no idea existed and almost right away had accepted her role.  With the exception of feeling maybe she went a little nuts on the way but I liked that she did as it made her a little more real to me.  Acceptance is key but questioning makes her real.

   I for the most part was as torn as Mac was when it came to Chance and Varun.  Going into this book I had watched the trailer and knew that there was bound to be some hot guys but I was not prepared for the level these guys were on.  Varun on page 92 total swoon and Chance on 114 infuriated me in an I want more kind of way!! There is no point in saying that I wasn't torn between the two guys just as Mac was.  They both know how to raise your pulse at any given scene!!  However I will say I felt a much stronger pull to Chance and if told to choose a team it would be Team Chance ALL THE WAY!!

  This book is a step outside of the normal dystopian with its mythological twist but is a better book for it. Anyone that loves a good mythology will adore this book!!  The dystopian edge was just a bonus and I know that it is a very popular genre right now so in a competitive and growing market this book will have no problem standing out and raising the bar.  Kailin Gow has done a wonderful job and I can't wait to start Fire Stones very soon!

5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...