Thursday, February 9, 2012

Review: Falling Under by Gwen Hayes

Goodreads Description:

  Theia Alderson has always led a sheltered life in the small California town of Serendipity Falls. But when a devastatingly handsome boy appears in the halls of her school, Theia knows she's seen Haden before- not around town, but in her dreams. 
As the Haden of both the night and the day beckons her closer one moment and pushes her away the next, the only thing Theia knows for sure is that the incredible pull she feels towards him is stronger than her fear. 
And when she discovers what Haden truly is, Theia's not sure if she wants to resist him, even if the cost is her soul. 






My First Take On The Book:
  Theia seems to be an exceptional girl with a sheltered life.  It really irritated me that she was so okay with the fact every move she made was so calculated.  However for whatever reason it may be she has two amazing friends!! Donny and Amelia are fantastic characters  and even better friends.  You can not help but love them and what they bring to the table.  Haden seems like a dream to start and in a way he is.  What she sees when she is sleeping borderlines what most girls in her situation would consider horror.  However that is how she grows and why she grows. 

The Underwhelming:
  No matter how much I want to sing this book praises I would be lying to you if I said I didn't have some minor issues with it.  There is just too much of the "Dangerous boy" meets "Sweet, quiet and out of place girl" and it's love.  I can't say at first sight but with that kind of love it never is.  I also have to wonder where her friends where while this was all going on.  She of course doesn't tell them everything but I would be far more concerned than what they seem to be.  

The Gratifying:
  You get such a variety of characters in this book and you really look forward to reading them.  Keep an eye out for Varnie he is a hoot!! You don't find someone like him very often.  Donny I LOVE.  She reminded me of myself in some aspects. (not all). Amelia is such an independent and original that you can't help but smile reading about her, though I did have some minor issues with her character and hope that it will be cleared up in the next book.  The story does keep you interested.  The entire time!! There was not a lot of feeling like you weren't going anywhere.

The Final Say:
  Gwen Hayes has created a good over all story.  If you like/love the dangerous boy and awkward girl you will love this book!  I did enjoy how Theia grew into her own person and Haden stepped up to who he wanted to be but I felt there was too much riding on both of their souls.  It will keep you interested but not really guessing.  There is not really much to complain about but sadly I was not blown away by the story either. I would give this book a 3.5/5.  It was somewhere between a like and love.

3.5/5 Stars

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE you!!! I've been putting off this book and putting it off... because this is pretty much what I heard from everyone! ;/

    ReplyDelete
  2. The characters were by FAR the best things about this book. I love the best buds so much, I loved the fortune teller. But the story telling itself kind of bored me. I read this months ago, and have yet to read the sequel because I was just "eh" about it. I will one day, because the characters truly are worth revisiting!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...