Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Review: Everneath by Brodi Ashton


Goodreads:                                                                                 Last spring, Nikki Beckett vanished, sucked into an underworld known as the Everneath, where immortals Feed on the emotions of despairing humans. Now she's returned- to her old life, her family, her friends- before being banished back to the underworld... this time forever.
She has six months before the Everneath comes to claim her, six months for good-byes she can't find the words for, six months to find redemption, if it exists.
Nikki longs to spend these months reconnecting with her boyfriend, Jack, the one person she loves more than anything. But there's a problem: Cole, the smoldering immortal who first enticed her to the Everneath, has followed Nikki to the mortal world. And he'll do whatever it takes to bring her back- this time as his queen.
As Nikki's time grows short and her relationships begin slipping from her grasp, she's forced to make the hardest decision of her life: find a way to cheat fate and remain on the Surface with Jack or return to the Everneath and become Cole's...


  Nikki is gone for a hundred years... Well that is the length of the feed in Everneath but the Feed is only six months surface time.  Nikki survives it all and wants nothing more than to take a second chance on the surface and ease everyone's pain that she caused leaving the first time.  She also longs to see the one she pictured everyday for those hundred years the only one she can remember, the one with messy hair, big brown eye and callused hands that hers fit perfectly into.  All she has to do is remember his name and break the tether that seems to draw her back to Cole, the Everling that took her into the Everneath.

  Nikki's time on the surface is going to be anything but easy.  She knows that she only has a limited time to do what she needs to and has so many people counting on her.  Going back to school she tries to just slink back into the shadows and have no one notice her but so many factors make that impossible.  Cole keeps showing up explaining that they are meant to be together and that she shouldn't fight it because the alternative is hell.  Nikki just can't let go of Jack though.  The intensity of her feelings for him seems to override everything that is going on and Cole is just not ready to accept that.

  I found myself disappointed at Nikki's lack of effort to reconnect with her family.  She complied with everything her father asked her to do but rather than that she really was more concerned with everything else going on.  Being a teen I guess we don't always think of family before boys but seeing she wanted so bad to make things ok for her next good bye.  Actually she seems more concerned about Jack's brother than her own.  I can't put it all on her though I guess.  Her return is not a welcome one by anyone really and her Dad is no different.  He's more concerned about making her look better and the things that are going on in his life to really focus on her.

  Choosing a side in this book was hard.  I mean boys of course.  I was instantly drawn to Cole seeing he seems so genuine in his affection for Nikki.  As the book progresses it would seem Cole is the bad guy but I really just can't get my mind to set on that.  I just keep thinking that Nikki needs to get over it.  I see the appeal in Jack.  I really do but every time I start to really feel something for him, he either messes it up for me or I see Cole again. 

  I think that even if I didn't have a problem with it, the only thing I can see people having a problem with is the back and forth.  As you read she flashes back and forth between the present and the time before the feed.  Stories that are written like that is something different that I enjoy as long as I can follow. 

  Overall this was an easy and fun read.  I could not put it down and stayed up until 2am to finish it.  I wont lie to you, near the end my heart was so torn.  Tears were pushing themselves forth and I had to fight not to cry.  Everneath is a readers dream for those that loves Greek mythology!  Brodi Ashton did an amazing job with the emotions in this book and the depth of the main characters was fantastic.  I would really recommend this book!!!

4/5

1 comment:

  1. I loved Cole. I know that technically he is the bad guy, but he is just a product of his environment. I think he had such a great heart. I genuinely loved Jack too. He was a great guy, and the fact that he stuck with Nikki through that crazy crap says a lot about his character. I know this might not really be a love triangle in the tradition of today's love triangle, but I actually really enjoy this one because of who the 2 guys are. And Nikki is alright. SHe grew on me as the book progressed and I think I will like her better in Everbound

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...